Frequently Asked Questions
Medical Abortion (MA) is a procedure of terminating pregnancy using medicines or pills
An abortion pill kit contains two medicines: Mifepristone and Misoprostol. The abortion pills are used for medical termination of pregnancy. It is only used to terminate a pregnancy which should not be more than 11 weeks, counting from the first day of the last menstrual period.
An abortion pill kit or MA kit is a combination of two medicines: Mifepristone and Misoprostol. Mifepristone blocks the effects of progesterone, a natural female hormone that is needed for the pregnancy to sustain. Without this hormone, the lining of the uterus (womb) breaks down as it does during a menstrual period and stops the growth of the pregnancy. Misoprostol increases contractions of the uterus to cause abortion.
- You pregnancy should be less than 11 weeks
- If you have an IUD (intrauterine device) It must be removed before taking abortion pills.
- Abortion pills should be taken under supervision of a doctor
- DO NOT TAKE aspirin when taking abortion pills because it can make you bleed more
Abortion pills should only be taken as per the advice of the doctor.
It is taken as follows
- Time 0: Take one Mifepristone tablet. To help with nausea, take anti-nausea pills
- 24-48 hours later: Take four (4) tablets of Misoprostol letting the tablets dissolve between you upper gums and cheeks for 30 minutes. You can take ibuprofen (advil or motrin) 30 minutes to an hour before you take misoprostol to help with cramps. DO NOT TAKE aspirin
- If you are between 8 to 11 weeks pregnant, take an extra 4 misoprostol about 4 hours after you took the first 4 misoprostol dose
- Two weeks later see your doctor for a blood test and/or an ultrasound to check to make sure you are no longer pregnant (Day 14 to 17)
After taking Mifepristone, you may or may not experience vaginal bleeding. However, you may experience abdominal cramping, diarrhea, stomach pain, and nausea immediately after taking Misoprostol. Other side effects are dizziness, uterine contractions, pelvic pain and shivering. You may also have vaginal bleeding within 4 hours of taking Misoprostol. If you experience very heavy vaginal bleeding or if any of these side effects bother you, please consult with your gynecologist.